Kumiko is a delicate and sophisticated technique of assembling wooden pieces without the use of nails. Thinly slit wooden pieces are grooved, punched, mortised, and then fitted individually using a plane, saw, chisel and other tools to make fine adjustments. In this 5-day workshop, students will be introduced to making a Kumiko in traditional methods. The Art of Kumiko Making for cabinet doors and small tabletops will be the perfect workshop for those who are seeking to learn from the very basics and achieve to make 45°/90° grids with Asa-Noha and Masu-Tsunagi Kumiko patterns. The class project will be done with 100% handwork.
- Mastering hand-saw technique
- Training your eye, students will be able to cut half of the 0.5mm pencil mark before the workshop is over
- Mastering the perfect layout
- All students will make a 24”x24” Kumiko panel
- Learn to cut miter-folding with hand saw